Sunday, March 4, 2012

Friday's Adventure

Friday's routine doctors appointment turned into a real adventure for me and Angel.
After the appointment we went to WalMart to get her prescription filled.(never a simple thing).
As always they said it would be 45 mins to an hour to be ready.
We did a lil shopping and went back to wait in line. After waiting 30 mins the line didn't seem to be moving at all.
All of a sudden the cage of the pharmacy came down, all the cashiers locked their registers and were standing in the aisles all across the store yelling that WalMart was on lock down and for everyone to get to the back of the store.
A tornado warning had been issued and they locked the store down!
Well my first thought was "flight".
No way was I going to be herded into the back of that store with a gazillion people that I didn't even know!
The store was PACKED! The 2nd day of the month AND a Friday..ohhh no!!
I turned and saw that one door was still open. I asked Angel if she thought we could get out.
With "doe in the headlights eyes" she said we can try it, so off we went.
Right out the front door of a store that was on lock-down.
Once out everything seemed rather normal. No rain, no wind, nothing.
We got in the car and I drove across the road to the parking lot of the "old" WalMart.
Sitting there in the car watching the sky and hoping we'd be safe.
I kept thinking about when the new WalMart was built. 
It seems it was finished in just a few months maybe three or four?
Maybe longer but I do know that's an awfully big building to be finished so fast and I figure it will fold up like a wet cardboard box if hit with a tornado. Right?
I knew I was not going to die in it with a bunch of strangers!
Anyhow, we could see the front doors of the store and was watching for people to start going in and out.
It sprinkled rain for just a few minutes and the sky was really weird. Clear in some places and dark as night in some.
Just over the trees behind WalMart we could see the clouds trying to gather. 
We could see it trying to form and just as it was about to reach the store it just went straight up, split and vanished.
Thank God it did and everyone was safe.
You can see it trying to gather in this pic from my phone.

2 comments:

  1. wooow!!! that was scary, Contee
    glad you left the building with Angel, and I am glad everyone was safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks José! It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete